Thursday, June 12, 2008

Chickensh!t

I have to go back to the dentist this afternoon. No big deal, just having a filling replaced.

So why am I scared sh!tless???

I've never had a problem with the dentist before. I actually LIKE having my teeth cleaned. But right now my tummy is doing somersaults. And not the happy kind.

Part of it, I know, is fear over my reaction to novocaine. Last time I nearly passed out when I got the shot. My heart started racing and I broke out in a cold sweat. I would have fainted if my doctor hadn't quickly tipped my seat back.

I know that it was just a reaction to the 2% adrenalin in the novocaine and I know that the doctor is getting me epi-free novocaine this time…. But I'm still scared and that's not like me.

I just keep picturing myself dying ignobly in the dentist's chair, a paper bib around my neck and drool trickling down my chin…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey EEE, it's very normal for your old brain to remember something that it feels threatened your life. Talking about it with your dentist will be very helpful as well as doing the square breathing technique. Also Eneyer's suggestion that you remember all the times things went well will allow your new brain to calm you down.

I'll be thinking of you sweetie. I used to be like that getting my yearly physical.

EEE said...

Thank you, angel!!!

The square breathing really helped. That and the fact that the dentist did NOT use novocaine this time.

I don't want to think about the fact that I'm due (overdue!!!) for my first mammagram this year...

Anonymous said...

EEE –

I’m a lurker… I read your blog, but leave no trace… :-) I have one, but I just forget to go to it….

I too, am terrified of the dentist. I go about every 5 years (which is partially due to sporadic dental insurance). I had a filling put in a couple weeks ago and actually cried when they gave me the shot. It’s so embarrassing – I’m nearly 28 years old, and the tech has to tell me how great I’m doing. I can’t help it, I’m a huge baby and am highly sensitive to needles (it doesn’t help that topical anesthetics don’t really work on me).

I have to go back tomorrow for another filling for a “hidden” cavity they discovered last time. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Maruska

EEE said...

Maruska!!!

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier!

I hope your trip to the dentist was OK???