Monday, September 29, 2008



Over the past five years or so, I have developed some allergies. This is frustrating and annoying. I never used to be allergic to anything other than penicillin and novocaine.

But now I’m allergic to a whole host of shit. Pollen is the big one. I notice in the spring that I get very congested. And I’m fairly certain I’m allergic to my cat.


One thing I didn’t think about was that I might be allergic to my favorite flower.

I adore lilies. There’s just something so sweet and charming about them. I don’t buy them very often because they are quite toxic to cats. But yesterday at Whole Foods, I found a charming little mixed floral bouquet – all white and green with just a couple stems of dusty purple. At the center was a single white lily.

I figured: OK, I’ll put them somewhere the cat can’t reach and it’ll be all right.

I placed them on a high shelf and sure enough, Fluffy Kitty Butt had no interest in the flowers at all.

I wish I’d been so lucky. As the day passed, I started to sniffle, my throat began to itch, and I developed the mother of all headaches.

I was pretty sure that the lovely lily was the culprit and it truly broke my heart to remove that lily and relegate it to the trash. The arrangement, mostly daisies now, is still quite charming, but I KNOW that half the price of that bouquet was that single lily. Grrr….!

My headache cleared up within an hour and I am faced with the knowledge that I can only enjoy my favorite flower from a healthy distance.

Guess any guy trying to get into my… good graces… will just have to buy me roses instead…

No comments: